Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Holy Cleaner!


I saw this concoction on Pinterest and figured I'd give it a shot one afternoon when I had some free time because...ya know...who DOESN'T like to clean during their free time.

The recipe called for equal parts hot vinegar and Dawn dish soap to clean away soap scum and grime from showers and tubs!
Don't judge. The tub/shower is my Achilles heel :(
Chrome fixtures. Check out those spots!
I heated a 1/2 cup of vinegar in the microwave for 45 seconds, carefully poured it into a spray bottle, then added 1/2 cup of blue Dawn soap. Gently, I turned the mixture over and over to combine the ingredients and then let my trigger happy finger spray! I doused the tile walls, the chrome fixtures, the sides of the tub, the bottom of the tub, the ceiling...just kidding about that last one! Then I let it sit for about 30 min. while I mopped the kitchen.



The smell was quite strong (hot vinegar, hello?!), but I've also got a small bathroom with no window. Using the scrubby side of the sponge I lightly went over the tile and tub, then rinsed and ... MAGIC!! The tiles felt like glass!!! Like new!!! They were so smooth and shiny! And the tub looked like it'd never been used before ... except for the one or two spots I clearly missed. Check out this pic I took to show the difference!

Ta-da!!
I suddenly became ashamed of how dirty the tub had always been even when before I thought I'd "cleaned" it! This stuff cut through soap scum and grime that I'd previously assumed were stains and it wasn't chock full of crazy chemicals that made me feel lightheaded or like I might grow a 3rd eyeball! It was so easy and so cheap - I had everything on hand - and it seriously over delivered! My only disclaimer is that it did nothing for the grout. While it didn't advertise that it worked on grout, I guess I secretly hoped it would, so be prepared to clean those with your usual method (mine's an electric toothbrush and borax).

So fresh and so clean, clean!

No spots even up close! Check out that sparkly reflection!

Soap Scum and Tub Grime Buster

Ingredients
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup dish soap
spray bottle

Directions
1. Heat vinegar until pretty warm and carefully pour into spray bottle.
2. Add soap and gently turn over and over to mix.
4. Spray, then let it sit for a bit.
6. Lightly scrub and rinse away.
8. Smile because you're awesome and your shower and tub are shiny and new :)



1 comment:

  1. Wowee!!!! I love it! Seriously. Can't wait to try it!
    xoxo
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete