Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Fall-off-the-Bone Ribs in the Crock-Pot!

I've been wanting to share this AMAZING recipe for ribs in the Crock-Pot since we made them. It was seriously easy and I'm not exaggerating when I say they were fall-off-the-bone tender. When I went to pull the rack out of the Crock Pot some actually fell right apart and had to be fished out with a slotted spoon. The meat was SO soft and flavorful and they were simple, simple, simple!! Then - ta-da - I found 2 awesome linkys through which to spread the delicious work!


   

I bought a rack of Costco's St. Louis Style Ribs which already had a dry rub on em'. I don't have a go-to rub so I wanted something already seasoned, but you can absolutely buy plain and use your favorite flavoring! While the spices are marinating the meat and making it all sweet/salty delicious get your cooking liquids ready.

Into the Crock-Pot goes 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup cooking sherry, and several shakes of Worcestershire. I think I did 30 shakes; we really love that stuff! After the liquids are in the pot (don't worry that it's just a shallow bit - that's how it's supposed to be and will increase as the meat cooks), put the ribs in standing up. Don't put the ribs laying down flat in the liquid! Place them standing on one end straight up (if you have magic fingers and can balance them) or stand them up on one end and lean the top on the Crock-Pot.

My rib rack was very long and would not stand straight up with the lid on, so I cut it in half and leaned each piece on opposite sides of the pot. Once standing, squirt a generous amount of your favorite BBQ sauce on the exposed side of the ribs, turn your Crock-Pot on low, and set your timer for 4 hours!


4 aromatic hours later!

After 4 hours, if your ribs are leaning on the wall of the Crock-Pot like mine were, flip them so the opposite side is exposed. At this time I squirted additional sauce on the newly exposed side and set the timer for another 4 hours.



Finally! After 8 slow roasted hours of tenderness you're ready for your last step! We like our ribs slathered in sauce and sloppiness, so I put the racks on a cookie sheet and zig-zagged extra BBQ on top. I spread it out it out with a pastry brush, popped it under the broiler for 5 extra minutes to get it good and sticky, and they were perfect!!



This last step is completely optional. If you don't feel like dealing with the extra broiling, just serve em' with extra sauce for dipping!

I served the ribs with sweet potato fries and my husband said they were the most tender, flavorful ribs he has ever had!! Whoop whoop!! Score one for team wifey!! As a first time rib cooker I was VERY proud and VERY excited about how delicious they were. Serious sweet, smokey, tender glorious-ness!



Fall-off-the-Bone Crock-Pot Ribs


Ingredients
1 rack of ribs
favorite dry rub
1 cup water
1/4 cup cooking Sherry
Worcestershire
favorite BBQ sauce

Directions

1. Spread dry rub onto both sides of rib rack and set aside
2. Add all liquids, except BBQ sauce, to Crock-Pot
3. Set ribs in Crock-Pot, standing on end, and slather with BBQ sauce
4. Cook on low for 4 hours
5. If ribs are leaning on side of Crock, flip them over and sauce the other side
6. Cook an additional 4 hours

Optional Additional Step
7. Place ribs on cookie sheet and add additional BBQ sauce
8. Broil for 5 minutes



4 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! Thank you so much for sharing, I'm definitely going to have to try them. Crockpot recipes usually become go-to recipes during the school year! :)

    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! The crock pot is my best friend August-May :P Thank YOU for starting the linky party! I'm so glad I found it and have gotten some great ideas!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a cook, but I think I could handle this recipe. They sounds DELICIOUS! Is it cheating if I pass the recipe on to my Jerm so he can make them?? LOL!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! No. Pass away!! They are delicious and so easy! I really can't do justice to how soft the meat was.

    ReplyDelete