Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday Made It!


Monday Made It, by 4th Grade Frolics, is a new linky party I've found where you share any number of things you've made each week. Lots of people linked up classroom deco, recipes, new crafty things, and worksheet or lesson ideas. Here are a couple of things I've made recently!

Helped this little guy MAKE IT across the path...that counts...right?!

I had Finley at the dog park last week and spotted this little guy while walking back to the car after a great hour of playtime. He was SO small, probably only an inch long and even less wide. PRECIOUS! He was about 3/4 of the way across the bike path with 2 1/2 feet left to trek before safely reaching the grass, but traffic was picking up and I knew all the kids zooming by on skateboards/bikes/roller blades probably wouldn't spot him and he'd be smooshed. After snapping a few pics, I gently carried him to the grassy area about 4 feet off the path!





Melted Crayon Art

I cut out the puzzle piece from foam that was sticky on one side. After sticking it to the canvas, I picked my Crayon colors and snapped them into small pieces. Through trial and error I learned that 1/2 in. sized bits are the best. If they are too big they take too long to melt. Then, one at a time, I melted the pieces with a hair dryer, moving my way around the puzzle piece. I placed the wax between the puzzle piece and fork, blew the hot air straight down until it began to melt, then tilted the direction of air flow away from the puzzle piece. The hot, puddled wax would slip in between the fork tines and spread out making cool splatters and mixing with the colors around it. I'm 100% happy with how this turned out!! My little sister and I did one each and it was a great craft for upper elem/middle school-aged kids.




Homemade Sugar Scrub

I followed this pin to a recipe for homemade sugar scrub to keep those heels, elbows, and legs bright, shiny, and moisturized this summer. The chlorine in the pool really dries my skin out and I find myself running around barefoot more in the warmer months, so exfoliation is key. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this pin was a flop :( The main moisturizing ingredient in this recipe is extra virgin olive oil and after using it in the shower, not only did I feel like I'd rubbed a stick of butter all over my body, but I also smelled like a walking one woman table at Olive Garden. The added citrus zest does not cover up the smell of the oil. Not pleasant. 


Unthinkables Lessons

http://www.autismshop.com/images/detailed/15/BK692-2a.jpg


There are 14 Unthinkables I focus on in my room, although dozens more are available! This week I've been working on lessons that each focus on individual guys. I'm going to use the lessons, one a week, in my social skills class.



http://www.autismshop.com/images/detailed/15/BK1073-2b.jpg


1 comment:

  1. I love the jigsaw puzzle piece canvas. I have done the crayon art before and made a super huge mess. I will be better prepared next time. Sorry your scrub was a flop!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete