Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sunday Inspiration!






Christina Petraglia – Changing Lives Any Way You Can

Posted by  on Friday, June 20th, 2014
What qualifies as making a difference in someone’s life? Is it the amount of money you spend or the duration of time you devote at their side? Or is it an individualized effort, the significance of a personalized act? If given the opportunity to help using a million dollars or sponsoring a few childhood cancer patients by providing superhero capes to help them forget their battle for even a moment, Christina Petraglia would pick the latter without hesitation. Dedicated to finding ways to cure cancer as well as provide some form of escape for those suffering from it, she knows the power in seeing the way that small efforts make significant differences in people’s lives.
Christina is grateful that her business allows her to give more and make a greater impact in the lives of others.
Christina is grateful that her business allows her to give more and make a greater impact in the lives of others.
At the age of 13, Christina lost her grandmother to Leukemia. She made a pact with herself that she would work to help find a cure for the disease, so she studied biology and became a scientist. Ironically, the first drug she worked on after graduating was for Leukemia. “I’ve always had a special place in my heart for cancer and cancer patients because I’ve felt what it does to family members and see what it does to patients. I feel like there is something I can do about it.” And she does plenty.
Aside from her work as a scientist and continuing the fight by committing herself to her nine to five career, Christina also gives to a children’s charity that supplies capes to kids suffering from cancer. “I was inspired by a sorority sister from college whose daughter is the same age as my twins. When her daughter was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma, I watched what she went through and what she continues to go through and I want to do anything I can to help kids forget that they have cancer. If I can’t take the cancer away, what’s the next best thing? The kids wear these capes and go from being completely sad and feeling sick to flying around the room thinking they’re superheroes. And, to me, that is invaluable. Kids having cancer should be unlawful. I don’t know how it slipped through the cracks of Mother Nature; it’s the worst thing. But, the feeling you have, knowing you’re behind a smile on a kid who is fighting cancer is priceless. I am able to actually change kids’ lives, for a moment. I am able to make them forget that they have cancer and feel like a superhero. I truly view them as super heroes too. Anybody that has to go through cancer or any family member who remains there to help support is a superhero in my eyes.”
Christina loves receiving pictures from some of the children she has helped sponsor.
Christina loves receiving pictures from some of the children she has helped sponsor.
Christina is currently only a Level II Rodan + Fields® Independent Consultant, but she feels very strongly about doing what she can now. “You can’t wait until you’re successful to make a difference. You do what you can do when you can do it. My ultimate goal is to sponsor an entire oncology floor for a local children’s hospital, but in the meantime, if I can make a difference in one kid’s life immediately, I’m not going to wait. I will help however I can as soon as I can.”
At first, Christina had no idea what the R+F opportunity would provide her. She got involved almost two years ago when her former college roommate introduced her to the products. After the birth of her now three year old twins, Christina suffered from severe pregnancy melasma and sun damage. She had been trying everything from prescription medications to photo facials and was even planning to try laser resurfacing. “It was expensive and nothing worked. I literally looked like a burn victim. I was desperate for something that would help. I was at the point where I would put tomato sauce on my face if someone told me that would work.” She did some research on the Company and decided the business opportunity was a perfect fit. She enrolled as an Independent Consultant and started using the products the same day. She started seeing results almost immediately and Christina is proud to be a “walking billboard” with proof of the products’ multi-med effectiveness. “It was shocking when I started to see the melasma disappear. My skin had looked and felt so awful; it was really embarrassing to face my colleagues. As a scientist, I come really close to the products we make for cancer patients, so you cannot wear makeup or anything else on your face. At the time, I was supporting a manufacturing campaign and had to interact with staff and it was humiliating and frustrating that no prescriptions were working. So many people are suffering and I love showing the transformation my skin went through. I can walk out of the house without anything on my face and I really do love my skin now.”
Christina is amazed at how much her skin has changed since using the products.
Christina is amazed at how much her skin has changed since using the products.
On top of her career (which currently has her traveling internationally to Switzerland to support a cancer drug she is working on), being the mother of twins, her involvement with the children’s charity, and a husband who is equally active, Christina fits her R+F business into her life because she sees it as her vehicle for change. Her R+R earnings have helped to pay for her children’s preschool tuition and enabled her to have a playground built in the backyard since they live in an area in Oakland, California where there are no neighborhood parks. “I love being able to pay for my kids’ education without touching my other income, but the best part is that I can touch cancer in a whole different way. The financial gains are nice, but the things that don’t have a price tag on them are bigger and more important. Helping team members accomplish their goals and seeing the joy new members experience when they realize what they can do with their business is invaluable.”
Christina with her husband, Mike, and their two children.
Christina with her husband, Mike, and their two children.
Always on the go and loving it, Christina is excited for what the future holds. She is proud of the fact that she and her power partner, Marti, have joined forces to host the Oakland meetings. “It’s usually done by Level Vs, but I didn’t let that stop me. I saw a void and I wanted to fill it.” Christina views her R+F business as her “hall pass.” It’s her ticket to just get away from everything and even though hosting meetings often happens after a full day at her job, she leaves feeling energized and excited. “It makes me want to go back do it all over again the next week. My R+F business fuels me because knowing I’ve helped someone achieve better skin or a better situation for their family is incredible. The people involved in this are the most positive men and women I’ve ever met. I’ve never seen or experienced so much positivity and it doesn’t matter whose team you’re on, we’re all here to support each other and make this business successful. That inspires me to help others in the same way.”
Seeing the smiles on the faces of the children she has helped sponsor inspires Christina to continue helping in any way she can.
Seeing the smiles on the faces of the children she has helped sponsor inspires Christina to continue helping in any way she can.
When she does reach obstacles in her journey, thinking of the kids she hopes to help motivates her to push forward. “I don’t let hurdles get in my way. When I see how happy the kids are wearing the capes, why wouldn’t I want to push past any obstacle in my way? It doesn’t matter how busy you are. Life is totally crazy, but we’re doing it. And if you do what makes you happy, success will come. I’m doing what I do because I want to make a difference. Soon, there will be a very big superhero party.”

No comments:

Post a Comment