Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sweet Apple Pork Tenderloin in the Crock-Pot!

It's another recipe for eating, drinking, and linking over at Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road!



I have seen a barrage of apple/cinnamon/honey/pork recipes on Pinterest and in cookbooks. Today I decided to try wingin' my own version based on the dozens I had glanced at previously. To start off, I sliced half an onion and made about a cup of beef broth with bullion (it's just what I had on hand). I also sliced 2 apples and removed the seeds and stems. Finally, I tossed the broth and onions into the bottom of the Crock-Pot.


On several other recipes I'd seen people comment that their pork was dry. I added onions and broth so there would be something steaming and juicy for the pork to sit in while it was warming up before the fat started rendering. I was hopin' it would keep the meat more moist. I was also worried about balancing he sweetness with a savory taste and thought the salty broth would help. Finally, the onions are great for aromatics.

Next came the pork tenderloin, although I've also seen plain pork loin used. I sprinkled it with salt and pepper, then cut about 1-inch deep slices every inch or so along the fatty side of the meat. Again, I put the fatty side up so that when the fat rendered off and and melted down the sides of the meat it would keep it moist. Next, inside each of those slices I drizzled honey.

Stuffed an apple slice in each cut...
And sprinkled just a little cinnamon over the whole thing.

After adding it to the Crock-Pot, on top of the broth and onions, I topped it with the remaining apple slices, a drizzle of honey, and tiny bit more cinnamon. Then the entire thing cooked on low for 6 hours, filling my home with tasty, sweet, savory, fruity, delicious smells the entire time! Yippie!!


And...while I'm sorry this is anticlimactic...I don't have a picture of the end product :( We were running out the door to drive to our fireworks spot for the 4th and I just threw the thing into a Tupperware that we could eat while we sat out waiting for it to get dark.

Overall, my husband really liked the flavor. The meat was moist and the apples and honey gave it a nice light sweetness/freshness; however, he said next time he would want less cinnamon or possibly none at all. That's his personal preference, but if you like really sweet rubs or marinades you might like it. Totally up to you!


Sweet Apple Pork Tenderloin

Ingredients
2 apples
1/2 onion
pork tenderloin
cinnamon
honey
any kind of broth or cooking liquid you like

Directions
1. Slice the 1/2 onion into thick slices and drop them in the Crock-Pot.
2. Add 1 cup of broth or cooking liquid to pot.
3. Slice apples and remove seeds and stems.
4. Make 1 inch deep cuts in pork spaced 1 inch apart on fatty side of meat.
5. Drizzle honey into slices of meat and stuff with apple piece.
6. Shake just a TINY bit of cinnamon atop pork and place in Crock-Pot.
7. Drop in extra apples and drizzle a little more honey if you like meat sweet.
7. Cook on low for 6 hours or until meat is cooked through.



2 comments:

  1. That looks really yummy! Unfortunately, my other half is allergic to apples. His poor lips swell up. I'll have to just stare at yours! :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well, you definitely wouldn't want that! Betty Crocker has a recipe with dried fruit like apricots and raisins. I didn't do that one because I don't like those, but here's the link in case you want to try!

      http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-roast-pork-with-fruit/397f8c20-d03e-4799-9472-2dd66be169a3

      Delete